Pages

Monday, September 15, 2008

Upcoming Gallery Show

The opening of my first ever gallery show is coming up October 3rd at Waverly House in Springfield, Missouri. The following works are a preview of what I will be showing.

COON (18.5" x 28.5") pictures a raccoon foraging in a dry creek bed. The beautiful background fabric in the upper half is a hand-dye I ordered from Dijanne Cevaal in Australia. It added just the right touch to this autumnal scene. The coon is thread-painted.

SAW WHET OWL (21" x 31") evolved after I did some research on owls and learned about this small bird. I thread-painted the owl. After placing the owl and the branches, I decided he should be in a fir tree and spent days free-motion stitching all those needles. I'm in no hurry to repeat this stitching adventure.
MATING SEASON (approx. 18" X 27") is a jolly quilt with lots of color. It was one of those pieces that come together rather quickly because of the joy of working with all the color and shapes. All the frogs are thread-painted.
GUSTAV'S GARDEN II (18" X 22") was inspired by a painting by Gustav Klimt. It was originally intended to be entered as my 2007 Journal Quilt but after I finished it I entered it into the juried section of the International Quilt Festival and it was accepted as a finalist.
STUDS TURTLE (approx. 18" x 26") is another jolly quilt with its turtle, lizard, dragonflies, leaves and flowers. Its background is a piece of my hand-dyed fabric.
SCENTUOUS (33" X 42.5") was inspired by a beautiful hand-dyed cotton sateen from Jeanettes Fabric To Dye For. I couldn't cut it up so used the whole piece as the background for some vines, irises, an out-size marigold and then a thread-painted skunk worked its way into the grass at the bottom.
RAIN FOREST FROLIC (34" X 39") is a piece I made a couple of years ago. I love its colorful dart frogs and the giant beetle. The border fabric is a hand-dye from Ellen Anne Eddy who is one of my quilt heroes.
SOLITUDE (approx. 18" x 24") was also made a couple of years ago using another of Ellen's hand-dyes as a background. It has a peaceful feeling I've enjoyed seeing on my wall.
LATE BLOOMER (49" x 64") has just returned from its journeys as part of the In Full Bloom IV Exhibit of the International Quilt Association. The blooms on the quilt are hand-painted and then thread-painted. I spent a long time working on this piece and had a wonderful critique from Cynthia Morgan that helped me improve the work.

13 comments:

Sherryl said...

A beautiful body of work. Congratulations.

Rayna said...

beautiful work, indeed. Hope to meet you when I am in Springfield in March, teaching.

mad elena said...

Wow! Your color sense and thread painting are spectacular. Congrats on your first show.

Karen Newman Fridy said...

That's going to be one fine show...congratulations!

Carole said...

Oh Roberta, while I have missed you on the FFFC, this has been so worth it!! What beautiful pieces!
Wish I could see it in person. When you get the show hung and it is open for viewing, I hope you will post some pictures for us and be sure to let us know they are on your blog.
Congratulations on your beautiful work, your show and thank you for sharing.
Sincerely..

Cynthia said...

Gorgeous work, Roberta. Congratulations on your show!

When you have a moment to breathe, would you add sizes to the descriptions?

I wish I could see them in person!

Dijanne Cevaal said...

Hi Roberta
Lovely to see your body of work celebrating nature and colour. Good luck with your exhibition!

Dolores Quilts said...

Congratulations on your show. I really love your work. I love the vibrancy and realness of nature portrayed. :0)

Heather Pregger said...

Beautiful work! Congratulations on the show.

sharon said...

congrats! can't wait to see them all.

Norma Schlager said...

This is a stunning body of work. Your sense of color is wonderful! I wish I could see it in person. Good luck with your show.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.