Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Little Bright Eyes



This small quilt (16" x 20") jumped into my mind a few weeks ago.  The front is completely free-motion stitched.  The little saw-whet owl is thread painted and all the pine needles are thread sketching.  The moon is composed of angelina fibers.

After searching for a good background, I came upon my last piece of fabric that I bought from Ellen Anne Eddy six years ago.  And it was perfect.  Then I looked back through my gallery of quilts and realized my favorite work had been done with her fabrics as background.  So I am now watching daily for a new box containing many yards of her fabric.  I feel like a kid waiting for her first bicycle!

I'm on my way to Waverly House Gallery to take this latest work.  I may have to make another for myself because I'm very fond of it.

4 comments:

Nina Marie said...

ohhh this is great - I love the detail on the owl - I haven't tried to thread paint anything that elaborate yet! what a nice piece!

Judy Ferguson said...

I think that Bright Eyes is looking for a home. He will probably find one soon. He is irresistible.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

As always fantastic work Roberta. I just read the article that ellen eddy did on her blog...so happy to see your work and you highlighted! Take care.

Jan said...

Nice piece! Great job making the little Saw-whet so life like.